"When so I ponder, here apart, what shallow boons suffice my heart, what dust-bound trivia capture me,
I marvel at my normalcy."--Dorothy Parker

Sunday, May 6, 2012

sabbath sounds


After staying home from church with a sick baby for way too many months now--wintertime babies are always sick!--my overused Sabbath music library needed a little refurbishment. While my last Sunday music suggestion was bluegrass in feel, I guess I was feeling the need for medieval choral music today. 

I already own and love Anuna's Christmas album, so I started by sampling their other offerings on iTunes before downloading their self-titled album from 2005. It's Celtic but most of it is not too  Riverdance, if you know what I mean, and they also do a lot of High Church choral music. I also bought something from Ensemble Plus Ultra, a medieval choral group that we chanced to hear in a cathedral concert with Blue Heron here in NYC last October. I was torn between their Byrd and Zarlino albums. I bought the latter but will surely go back for more when I wear that record out, metaphorically speaking. You can listen to samples on iTunes or on their website here (I'm not sure what is going on with the videos, but you can still get a sense of their musical talent).

3 comments:

o charm said...

the blue heron concert was incredible--perhaps among my favorite memories of new york.
my lastest love is handel (sparked after hearing a concert in his home in london). and my favorite are the castrati! try andreas scholl or philippe jaroussky. i love handel's verdi prati, or the aria "ombra mai fu". also soprano arias: "mio caro bene!" or "ombre pallide, lo so, mi udite" so amazing!!!

Davian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Davian said...

Thanks, Jen. Love the suggestions. I ended up getting Jaroussky's version of Handel's Faramondo. Gorgeous!