"When so I ponder, here apart, what shallow boons suffice my heart, what dust-bound trivia capture me,
I marvel at my normalcy."--Dorothy Parker

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

saturday

We have not had a lot of weekends at home, as of late. We moved to Europe to travel on the cheap, and we have been making the most of it in the last couple of months. It's fun, and hard work, and worth it. But it was so nice a couple of weekends ago to wake up and look at each other and realize we had no plans for the morning and beautiful spring weather outside. We hopped onto our bikes and off we went to enjoy our own neighborhood.

Two kindly Dutch ladies gave us a brunch of homemade quiche and pannenkoeken at MAF (Mad About Food) and we looked at the pretty church across the way. Afterward, Steve chased the kids around the playground while I perched on a nearby bench and enjoyed the rare pleasure of having my nose in a book, and then we cycled out to the twin lighthouses on the seashore. 

Everyone was out enjoying the weather, even if the sun worshipers lying on the beach were clad in black hats, coats, and boots. Back at home, the kids settled down to read and we napped and cooked, and later snuck off to the M.C. Escher museum while our kids played with our friend Ksenija. Steve had Metamorphosis on his wall when we were dating, which I now realize might have been vanity, he looks so like the artist. 

We got home just in time for family movie night, with popcorn and lots of cuddling.
(Funny, right?)